For the meat pie dough:
-500g Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour)
-1 tsp Baking Powder
-250g Salted Margarine
– 5 tbsp Cold Water
For the Meat Pie filling:
– 1 medium-sized Irish potatoes
– 2 medium-sized Carrots
– 250g Minced meat
– 1 small-sized Onion
– 1/8 cup finely chopped Vegetable leaf
– 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
– 1 Knorr cubes
– 1/2 tsp Thyme
– 1/2 tsp Curry powder
– 1 tbsp Plain flour
– 1/2 cup Cold water
– Salt to taste
You will need
1 medium-sized egg (beaten) (for brushing your pie)
» For the filling
* Peel the Irish potatoes and scrape the carrots, wash
and cut these two into tiny cubes.
* Wash and finely chop the onions.
*With your cooker set to medium heat, heat
the vegetable oil in a pot, add the diced onions and
stir for a bit, add the minced meat and stir vigorously till the minced meat turns pale.
*Add 1/2 cup of water, Knorr cubes and thyme. Cover
the pot and once the contents of the pot starts
boiling, add the diced potatoes and cook
till everything is well done. Add the carrot and allow to simmer for another 2 minutes.
Dissolve 1 tbsp of plain flour in a quater cup of cold water and add to the meat pie filling. (The flour paste keeps the meat pie filling
* Add salt to taste, stir the contents and turn off the
heat. Set the meat pie filling aside.
Meat Pie dough
* Sift the flour and baking powder in a sizeable bowl. Add the and the salt and mix these dry ingredients very well.
* Rub the margarine into the flour with your finger tips to get a crumb-like mixture.
* Add the cold water in bits while at the same time folding the mix till a stiff ball of dough is formed.
* Knead the dough very well, put back in the bowl and
leave to rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
Cut, Fill, Fold and Close
*Preheat your oven to 180°C
*Rub margarine on the insides of the oven tray and set aside.
* Knead the dough some more, roll it out to achieve a
* Use a meat pie cutter to make round cuts on the rolled out dough. (You can use a small round pot cover with sharp edges)
* Imaginarily divide the round cut into half and scoop some meat pie filling unto one half of the round dough making sure to leave about 0.5 cm of the edge for closing the pie.
* Rub the egg on the inside edge of the cut meatpie
* Fold the second half of the dough over the filling to meet the other end and
use a fork to press the 2 edges together to close
* Place the pies in the oven tray.
* Brush the pies with the egg using a pastry brush. This gives the meat pie
a golden brown look when done.
* Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Your meat pie is ready when it’s golden brown.