I really don’t enjoy eating water yam. If you’re like me, here’s a good way of transforming the water yam into a delicious dish. I learnt this from a dear mother some years back.
– 5 slices Water yam
– 1/2 cup Flakes Markerel
– 1/4 Finely chopped onion
– Chilli pepper or finely chopped scotch bonnet to taste
– 1/2 cup Flour
– 1 cube Seasoning cube
– 1 big Egg
– Vegetable oil
* Boil the water yam in salted water till tender.
* Beat the egg with desired spices and seasoning cube. Set apart.
* Drain the yam. Marsh the cooked yam with a mortar and pestle. Mix in the chilli pepper, ground crayfish (if using) and flaked mackerel.
* Mould into smooth balls (or any other shape). Roll in flour (make sure the yam is totally covered with the flour).
* Roll the floured yam in the egg mixture. Allow to stay for about 4minutes. Place vegetable oil in pot (for deep frying) on low heat.
* Fry the yam balls in the hot oil for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
* Serve hot with a glass of milk or chilled juice.
©2015 ~MARY’s Kitchen~