I am a proper Oyo lady and I will be sharing the recipe for one of our special soups today.
– 1 Cup Black eyed cowpea
– 1 Medium sized Onion
– 1 Scotch bonnet
– 2 Tbsp Locust bean
– 1 Tbsp Ground crayfish
– 1/4 Cup deboned smoked mackerel (optional)
– 1/4 Cup Palm oil
– 1 Seasoning cube
– Salt to taste
* Soak beans for 10 minutes. Rub between fingers to remove seed coat. Soak for 3-4 hours. If in a hurry, you may cook with potash to reduce cooking time.
* Boil peeled beans in 1-1.5 cup water till very soft.
* Allow to cool. Pulverise with onion, pepper and locust bean (and deboned smoked fish if using) to give very smooth paste using your kitchen blender.
* Turn paste into a cooking pot. Add ground crayfish, palm oil and seasoning cube. Allow to boil for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to stir at intervals to prevent it from burning.
* Voila. Your bean soup is ready.
* Serve with ewedu soup if you want. (I don’t like the combination of the two though). Serve with beef or chicken from your beef or chicken stew.
* Eat with Amala.
~ MARY’s Kitchen